Saturday, August 20, 2011

Adaptive Qualities

The first week was really a fun, positive good time. I love the new schedule so far. It is nice seeing the kids most every day. Lot easier and I am thinking more efficient use of class time to have them 50 minutes most days with a 90 minute block once a week. The assignments are a bit smaller and so far the kids seem to be more willing to get their work done.

The only negative is I have a student with some massive behavior issues. Well, this along with some cognitive things going on. I do think I need an aide with him in my class. Perhaps if the class were smaller then I could help him better. We will see how things shake up. I did come up with a plan for the student though just in case I can't get assistance for whatever reason. I probably need to be more forceful if I don't though.

As always I am in awe of my friend who has been going through chemo. This is her second year of fighting. She just gets done what needs to get done at school matter-the- fact like. Just knowing her has got me going on things I need to get done. Losing weight, getting my house in order, being a better teacher. Just getting stuff done. Basically cutting the crap. Who has time to deal with things that don't matter? Who has time to make excuses? None of us. I am a better person - or at least working on it :)

Other delights this week - my stepson turned 11 yesterday and we are having a birthday party for him this evening. His grandparents got him a kinect and he and his dad have been playing it all morning - pretty cool piece of hardware! Also it has been so cute seeing the little bugger smile and be sooooo excited for his birthday, and also I think he is excited for school here soon.

Back to teaching - well like I said the first three days were good. I am realizing that grading is going to be a bigger issue. I have been car pooling most days, but I think I am going to drive in on Mondays and Tuesdays to get all the planning and copying done for the week(without having to leave early), then I will grade on my prep period. We will see if that will be a good strategy. Also I would like to get my fccla up and running. Or an after school group of some sort. Yeah!!!

This sounds dorky but lots of love and fluffy clouds to everyone -

No comments:

Post a Comment